Project: M62 J19 Compound
Client: Costain on behalf of SMP Alliance
Area Covered: 33,000m2
Soil Science were employed by Costain to install a large multi-function compound, utilising our Sureground system, to facilitate upgrade works on the M62.
A hybrid design was implemented to meet client requirements, utilising two of Soil Science’s surfacing options :
- ‘Standard’ surface – 100mm of laid and compacted Type 1 stone (below and around modular accommodation)
- ‘Armoured’ surface – 150mm of bound Type 1 for added hardwearing/ longevity (for plant/ material laydown)
- Surface Armouring is completed by mixing type 1 stone with further binder to achieve surface performance of up to 100% CBR.
Costain also opted for asphalt to staff/client parking and access roads, in these locations SSL laid a 75mm regulating layer, on the treated subbase, ready to receive the asphalt.
Soil Science undertook preconstruction testing to determine the binder design, plus record data to facilitate future decommissioning/ reversing. The SUREGROUND™ system is fully reversible, returning treated soils/ subbase to their pre-constructed condition, with data provided to client to corroborate this, as per Defra indices.
Soil Science mobilised to site January 2023 and began by undertaking a full topsoil strip. With our dust-free mixer, SUREGROUND™ was mixed with subbase in-situ to a depth of 350mm. With mixing complete, validation testing was carried out to confirm design strengths were achieved prior to the surface being applied. Soil Science provided Costain with QA information at handover to demonstrate compliance with our engineered design/ client requirements.
“Overall, I was extremely happy with the works and would highly recommend using SSL in the future” – Costain Site Agent
- Cost saving 38% 38%
- Programme saving 69% 69%
- Reduction in material sent to landfill. Down from 6,600m3 to zero 100% 100%
- Vehicle Movement Reduction 75% 75%
- Aggregate Reduction 75% 75%